Fire Safety Week with Math and Spelling Updates

This last week has kicked. my. butt.

I really can't even remember my days.

Monday, I had a meeting during my planning, interims were to go out that day but the copiers were down, and I had a Dr. appointment after school and on the way home I got stock on the interstate because of an accident for thirty minutes.

Tuesday is our faculty meeting day after school, so I don't usually get home until late anyway.

Wednesday?? I don't remember Wednesday. Oh.. wait! I went to see my brother and his wife and my nephew. I just happen to have nothing that day and Autumn asked if she could see her baby cousin. Sure. 

Thursday, we had Math Night that I had to be at and I didn't get home until 8:00 that day.

Friday? One CRAZY day...but it was a great day! Apple Day/Week was a success and I can't wait to show it to you!  OH, and I was home by 3:30 and IN my pajamas on the couch. Yep. 

I'm overly exhausted right now. September is brutal.

Anyway... no time to do my visual plans, but I did want to tell you a little bit of what we'll be doing.

We're going to be doing short vowel review with words that end in -ck.  So I updated my /k/ pack. If you already bought it, make sure you download it again.




Our thematic poem for the week to put in our journal is on Firefighters. You can read about my poetry journals {HERE}. You know I'd be in trouble if I didn't do a fire safety week! I always try to get my husband to come in to my classroom with his gear and do a little demonstration, but I never know if it's going to work out or not. We'll see if it happens this year or not!

Anyway, I found a freebie poem from one of the first blogs I found many years ago, Just 4 Teachers, that I turned into a poetry journal and centers activity. Click the picture to download.  We're going to do the poem on Monday morning and then it will be one of their centers throughout the week.


Another center they'll be doing this week is the vowel and consonant addition. I've had this activity in my centers FOREVER, but I've copied them so many times that they start to look blurry. So I finally just made my own so that it was actually "pretty" and I could print originals whenever I wanted. The old version was with ewwy fonts and no clip art. Not pretty. lol. I like functional....and pretty! haha It's the problem with being a clip art addict, I guess. Click the picture to download the freebie.



Some more of my centers will be coming from a few different packs.... my October version of my Label It!




And my October CCS center packs. I had the chance to introduce math centers last week with all of our apple fun, and I really liked it! We only had like 15 minutes to do them.... so I can only do one quick one, but it was enough time for me to walk around to get an idea of who needed help and which concepts I needed to spend more time on.


Also in Math, I'll be doing a "round up" of all the addition strategies I've been teaching them. I'll be doing some activities from my Addition Strategies pack. This was on of the first things I made a few years ago. I'm adding more activities to the pack as the week goes! By next weekend, I'll have the pack updated... so if you already bought it, be on the look out for a FB shout that I've uploaded the new version. If you haven't bought it yet, you might want to get it now before the price goes up!




I have a few new ideas I want to implement in our routines. But before I share them with you, I want to make sure they're going to work... or IF I even get to them. We start our school wide intervention next week. This eats up about 45 minutes of my already too-short of a day. So, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it all in.

Insert sad face. I really miss time. I wish I had more if. For so many reasons.


2 comments

Nicole Heinlein said...

I love that cute little poem! thanks for sharing!

Venita Johnson said...

Great job right here. I truly enjoyed what you had to say. Keep heading because you definitely bring a new voice to this subject. Not many people would say what you have said and still make it interesting. Properly, at least I am interested. Most schools observe Fire Safety during the first part of October. This is the week that schools set aside to teach about fire safety and what to do in the event of a fire. This week often includes a school visit from the local fire station. Or if you are fortunate enough to teach near a fire station, you might take a walk to the fire station. Today I wanted to share a fun and free fire safety math game! Cant wait to see more of this from you.


For finding best writers click here

Back to Top