Tasty Fact Math Quizzes - Explained!

Last year, I showed you how I store and organize my Tasty Fact Quizzes. It really is such a life saver!

I store them in a binder (this is the old cover...I just haven't reprinted the new cover) and keep the checklist of who is on which quiz in the front. When it's time to pass out quizzes, I just pull out the check list, and we're ready to go!


Here's how it looks in the rest of the binder....


If you want to see more, check out my organization post {HERE}

NOW....I've had a lot of questions on how do I handle the quizzes - pass them out and everything.

Well, IF it was a perfect world, I would have had time to pull out all the quizzes earlier in the day, BUT, that doesn't usually happen...I usually pass them out as we do it...I just go down my check list and call out everyone that is on the same quiz, and I just flip through my binder and pull the quizzes out from the sleeves as we go. 


The kids take the quiz back to their desk, keep it flipped upside down, and write their names on the back. Once everyone has their quiz, then we can get ready to start. It literally takes me like 1-2 minutes to get the quizzes all passed out. 


I have the timer in my hand, set for 1 minute (you can set it to however many minutes that works for your class!)...when I say GO! they flip over their quiz and start!


In the beginning of the year, everyone starts on the same quiz (+0), but then as some pass and move up the ladder, then everyone will have different quizzes.

Just at this group there was someone on their +6, +3, and +8.




When the timer goes off, they know to INSTANTLY put their quiz in the air, and to keep it there until I come get it from them. There have been a few time when I've had to demonstrate what happens if someone tries to "finish" their quiz after the timer has gone off....but after that, it doesn't happen...lol.


I usually grade them on my lunch break (they take like 4 minutes) that way the kids can take them home that day to know which quiz they'll be doing the next day.

Right now, I have a few kids that have even moved on to their subtraction quizzes!


So....what's included in my Tasty Facts packs?? 
There is a check list for each type of quiz - addition, subtraction, multiplication, and the beyond facts!

For each of the addition, subtraction, and multiplication quizzes, there are two version - a horizontal and vertical version of the quizzes. The problems are also in different places on each of the quizzes (the top and bottom and the horizontal and vertical) so that when you do have kids on the same quiz that sit next to each other, they won't be able to copy each other since they'll have different problems. 

There is also a craft for the kids to build as they pass their quizzes! There are different "parties" they can earn for each type. For addition, I like to do an ice cream sundae party and for the subtraction, I'll do a pizza party...and for my kids who pass their multiplication??? They get a nacho party!! (yes...it happens in 2nd grade. But when I taught 3rd, I even went up through the BEYOND pack!)


If you're interested in the multiplication pack...it looks like the addition and subtraction quizzes....


And here are a few examples of what's included in the beyond pack...





AND, I've gotten a lot of the same questions, so I thought I would address them here for ya...

Question: Why do you do these quizzes?

Well..aside from it being a common core standard to fluently know the fact up to 20 for 2nd grade...and when I taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade, I did it to keep them from losing it! 
  • CCSS.Math.Content.1.OA.C.6 Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10.
  • CCSS.Math.Content.2.OA.B.2 Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies.2 By end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers.
I also do it because when we get to 2 and 3 digit addition and subtraction, if they don't know their facts, they have a hard time getting those problems correct....they can know HOW to do the problems, but if they don't know their facts, then they'll never get the answers correct.

Question: What do you do with those students that freak out about being timed?

Well, I haven't really had anyone ever freak on being timed. I HAVE, however, had REALLY. SLOW. KIDS....I mean, they are just slow at EVERYTHING they do, so I KNOW, they will never beat the 1 minute mark on their quiz.  For them? I first, let them take the quiz for a while on the 1 minute time, just like everyone else...but I pay attention to them while they are doing it. Are they using their fingers? Can I notice that they are counting some way, shape, or form to get the answer? If not, then I find another time for them to do it, next to me - and I figure out a system/time frame that works for them... if they are counting, then it's probably just because they don't know their facts and I try to incorporate more facts centers.

Question: How often do you test?

Most weeks, I test Tuesday through Friday. I don't do Mondays because with our school's population, you just never know what kind of weekend our kids had.  

Question: Are there ever kids who only make it to, say, their 4s (I had one last year) and don't get all the goodies and are upset about it...? :)

Yes, I have had kids NOT get the party....But I give them from August until November or December to get there, and I even start doubling up about 2 weeks prior to the party....meaning, if they pass a quiz, that same day, they will get their next one...I have never had anyone in my 10 years get upset about not getting the party. Bummed? Yes...disappointed? Yes. But no one has ever broken down over it.

Question: Do you count this as their addition and subtraction grade on the report card?

No. I do NOT put these in the grade book. I do, however, take it into account, if they are still on the early numbers come December's report card.

Question: Why did you choose only 12 problems in 1 minute?

This is how I was taught to do it when I was interning....except it was with multiplication. So when I moved to 3rd, I started with addition, then went to subtraction, and multiplication, keeping with the same system. So, in second grade, I feel that one minute is a great time frame for them; however, you can adjust the time to fit your kids' needs, of course :)

OK....I think I've covered my Tasty Fact Timed Quizzes....

You can find these on:

7 comments

Unknown said...

These packs look fantastic, Jen! You've thought of everything! It's really helpful to see how you manage the quizzes, too!
Linda
AroundtheKampfire

Linda said...

Love how you have these organized!

Unknown said...

I used the addition and subtraction with my second graders last year. Everyone loved it. Thank you

Mrs. Wheeler said...

Math fact fluency is so important! We are getting ready to start "Rocket Math" soon. I am so happy! Your pack looks great!

Megan
Mrs. Wheeler’s First Grade
Mrs. Wheeler TpT

Unknown said...

My favorite ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip. I bet your's is Chocolate. Am I right? I'd love the Addition/Subtraction pack.
Annemarie
annemarienemeth@trotwood.k12.oh.us

Unknown said...

Thanks for such an interesting article here. I was searching for something like that for quite a long time and at last I have found it here.

scary costumes

John Albert said...

Keep up the high pace of excellent work, guys. Your teammates are doing great for the fashion world. Christmas Collection

Back to Top