How binders and page protectors help me with math

I've had a few questions on how I organize a few of my math "things," and I've actually had this post HALF finished for a few days, but I've literally been on my death bed the last few days. I am feeling somewhat decent today. I haven't had to take any medicine to make it through the day, but I've still gotten the "Are you ok!?" from everyone at work. lol. So, I guess that means I'm not looking to good right now. lol. This ALL could have been prevented if our district would've made the week of the time change our Spring Break so we could ALL get our rest that our bodies need. I'm just sayin'.

 But I have enough energy to finally show you my binders that I've been asked about. This is all about how a binder and LOTS of page protectors make my life so easy!


First up is my Tasty Facts.


I have both sets printed up and put in one binder. 

(this is the old cover, but it's still the same product)




Inside I have ALL FOUR checklists printed up. I start ALL the kids on the first addition quiz in the beginning of the year, but they quickly are spread apart from each other. I now have kids on subtraction, multiplication,  and one kid is on the "BEYOND" part! I'm so excited!

Then I have the "cover" for each section, and behind that cover, I have made a class set copy of the "food" page. I give them this after they've finished all their quizzes. 

Then, I have a page protector for EACH quiz....


there is a vertical and horizontal form for each "number." I make my kids do both versions, so I copy off a bunch of both pages, cute them in half, and put them in the page protector with the originals.  This is the best system I've done so far with this (and I've been doing them for 10 years!). I know exactly when I'm running low, and I just take my whole binder with me to the copier and flip the pages really quickly and pull out the ones I need. And I have my checklists with me to see how many kids are on (or will be getting there soon) to know how many copies I need. 


And I have the numbers in the corner, so it's easy to flip through to find the number I need without the pages getting stuck together.










So, I hope that helps!

You can find these on:


Another binder I use all the time is my Deck of Cards binder. It really is one of my go to math fast-finisher games and my math center activities. Or even for whole group, I'll project the directions on the doc cam for the kids to see and have the whole group do the activity with partners. 

All I had to do was just put the binder together, and make a few copies of each recording sheet - and voila! Centers are done for the year!



I put the table of contents in back to back....


and then the reference sheets - the hundreds chart or 120s chart.
and the number words page...
Then for each activity, I have the black and white copy as the "cover" in the page protector.
(I actually wanted to print the b/w copy on color paper, BUT, when it printed, it took it from the WRONG paper drawer, so it didn't take color copies, BUT I wasn't about to make more copies just to get it on colored paper...lol)

Behind the "cover" page, I have the recording sheets - I've copied off 5 sheets and put those facing the other way. I have all the variations in there, so I can easily differentiate within groups. When it comes to centers, I put those copies in page protectors and they use their dry erase markers and then I put the papers back in the binder where they belong. I also have the colored direction page that I pull out for the kids to use during centers.




Then I have the section for the no-response activities. I have the table of contents, then 4 more sleeves to put the direction cards for each activity. I grouped them by "style" of activity.



Find these on:

And ONE more thing...

I updated my Spring Time centers packs....over the weekend, but I'm JUST now getting around to posting about them since I've been on my death bed.  



Literacy Centers include:
-How to Make and Easter Egg sequencing using a foldable (directions for foldable are included)
-It's Raining Sentences! Sentence and Not a Sentence sort with a writing extension
-Hoopping Homphones - matching homophones (either concentration game or Read the Room) with a Shutter Foldable (directions for foldable included)
-Splash into Spring - 3-letter Blend word sort as a center or a game of scoot
-Bugged-Out Sentences - Sentence Scrambler
-Label It! - parts of a plant


Math Centers include:
-WHOOOO Knows how to Subtract? - Uses a kinesthetic game, using place value chips - subtraction is both regrouping and not regrouping.
-True or False Addition
-Spring Forward Time - to the hour and half hour
***added quarter time as an option to extend!
-Birds in a Line - number order in the 100s
-Leapin' Numbers! - A game using one before and one after...uses both tens and hundreds


Ok - now I have to go watch more of Revenge. I have become ADDICTED to that show the last few days (since I've locked myself in my room and hubs has been SUCH a support and just taking over night duty with the girls after having them ALL day while I was at work. I've been lying in bed with Netflix becoming addicted to a new show - ha!). 

86 comments

Maizigirl said...

We only have Friday and Monday off around Easter! No Spring Break here...what a bummer!!!


maizigirl1@gmail.com

Meagan said...

My spring break isn't for another week and a half! :( I am so ready for it and so are my little kiddos! They are going crazy!

I would love the lit. centers pack! I have been eyeing it up in your shop! :)

Meg
Meagan.newbold@gmail.com

Natalie said...

Wow, you are organized, girl! Living in Augusta, GA, our spring break is always during the Masters golf tournament, so we still have 2 1/2 weeks!

Natalie
Teachery Tidbits

Kelly Schwamb said...

Our spring break is during Master's Week...April 8-12. schwake@rcboe.org

Meaghan said...

Thanks for the giveaway! We have supt conference this Monday, but then we're off tues-fri! Wyguymom at gmail dot com

jen said...

Our last day of school before break is this Friday! I am super excited, since we were short changed on our February break due to Hurricane Sandy.

BTW--all the packs look amazing! I really like the tasty facts pack--I love the beyond :)

I hope you feel better soon!

--jen
msob123@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Love seeing how you organize! I am in Kansas and am currently on Spring Break. :-) brownm@usd385.org

kss425 said...

March 27...it can't come soon enough!

Kathy
Ksalinas425@gmail.com

Jennifer Jenkins Vukosic said...

We have off March 29 to April 8.

Jen
jeneratorj@gmail.com

yvette romine said...

My Spring break is April 8-12. Love your ideas! yromine@ncchristian.org

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

We start Spring Break on Good Friday
scubaisfun1@hotmail.com

Almost forgot I would like the tasty facts addition subtraction!

Unknown said...

Great tips! Spring Break is all next week.
idreamof1@aol.com

Stacy
Live Love Laugh and Teach!

Halle said...

Our Spring Break is the first week of April!

Halle
Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

MereMere said...

I'm in a year round school, so my 3 week break started on Monday. All the packs look great, but I love the Tasty Facts Addition & Subtraction. Meredith.mitchell@ nhcs.net

Christy_P. said...

We are blessed to have Good Friday through April 7th for our spring break this year. :)
christy at pietrzaks dot com

Katy said...

Good Friday through April 7th...and it can't come soon enough! :)

firstgradekate@gmail.com

Jen Plimpton said...

I'm going to have to put these math facts packets on my Wishlist! My kids just don't know their facts this year! My spring break officially starts Next Friday....thank god!
jkroske@gmail.com

Jennifer said...

Already done! WAAAA! One week was just not enough for me! Loving all your binders too. I have tons of binders that I used this year. I should really buy a whole crate at Costco-ha! (Maybe they'd give a teacher discount??) Would love the Math with a Deck of Cards. Heading to TPT to put it all on my wish list!
rowdyinfirstgrade@yahoo.com

Rowdy in First Grade

Carrie Ogulnick said...

My spring break was last week :/
Hope you are feeling better and get your break soon!
cupie9@aol.com

Christina Marie said...

My Spring Break is NEXT week! Can't wait!

Christina :)
Apples, Books, and Crayons
applesbooksandcrayons@gmail.com

Cecilia said...

I also love binders and sheet protectors. I am afraid my system isn't as organized as yours. We are off next week until April 2nd. Yay we miss April Fools Day! I would love your Spring Time Math Centers. cbartram@kitcarsonschool.com

Cori Wolff said...

This week is my spring break (even though snow is in the forecast for the end of the week...boo!) I'd love the tasty facts pack.
Started using your math with a deck of cards pack and love it!
Ccapper@sbcglobal.net

Donna said...

Our Spring Break was last week. We did not have school on Thursday or Friday. It was amazing! :-)
donna.krings@gmail.com

manakans said...

My spring break is the first week in April... Almost there!

Maria
Manakans@hotmail.com

Mrs. Phillips said...

Our spring break is the first week of April...I'm counting down! Lindsey - lmburto@gmail.com

Lori Rosenberg said...

I, too, am addicted to binders and page protectors! It makes planning so easy and keeps me organized. My spring vacation starts in 16 hours! Woo-Hoo!
Ѽ Lori
Teaching With Love and Laughter
luvyorkies@gmail.com

Christine said...

Our spring break was last week ...it's 11 more long weeks until the end!

love the organizing! I use similar system with my Word Journey spelling groups. So easy!

Christine
cutekids2.cj@gmail.com

Storie said...

Spring Break for me is the week after next. I have to make it through conferences first. I love watching Revenge because it is SOOOOO good!!
Storie
atozscrapbook@gmail.com
Stories by Storie

abqgreene said...

We had Break last week and that is it for the next EIGHT and a HALF weeks. Going to be a very long haul to the end. wish it was later.
abqgreene@gmail.com

Erika said...

1 more day and then it's break for me! Wahoo!!! SO excited!

I can't pick one of your packs... I want them all! So if I win, you can choose which one to send me and the other two will go in my wishlist!

Thanks!

julie allen said...

First week of April! I can.not.wait! julielynnallen@gmail.com

brittanym said...

My spring break starts Friday at 345! Woohoo! This girl is in need of a break! Brittanylsmarcotte@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I just started my spring break today! I don't have to go back until April 8! Wohoo!!Love year round.

Glad you're feeling at least a little better!

Ashley :)
primaryteacherhood@gmail.com

Melissa said...

My break is next week!! Luckily my kids haven't been crazy yet! My husband is doing a triathlon on Saturday, so right after work on Friday we'll be driving 2 hours to get there! Our family is also coming to visit next week. It will be fun.
Your organizing is genous! It would make things way nice and convienant! I would love your spring time math centers!

Thanks!
Melissa
Junglelearners@gmail.com
Jungle Learners

Rebecca H. said...

My break was last week! But we do have next Friday off :) All of these products look great! I would love the Math with a Deck of Cards. Perfect for Math rotations while I'm working with small groups prepping for the state test!

Rebecca
rebeccahallock@yahoo.com

i teach 2 said...

Spring Break is next week!! YIPPEE!!
jzjszim@gmail.com
Julie

Either pack would be awesome!!

Cindy said...

I'm on spring break right now! It's been cold and the weather man said the "s" word for tomorrow and possibly Friday!! :o( I'd love a copy of your spring math set!! :o)

Cindy
ccfirstteacher@gmail.com

alawson said...

Our spring break is the first week in April! amandalawson4@gmail.com

Katie said...

So happy that you are on the mend. Our spring break is next week and it can't come soon enough. I would love the literacy centers....they would be great for after spring break.

Katie
kryan428@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Great post!!!!! My spring break starts this Friday!!! Woohoo! Can't wait!!!

Hugs
Anna
Num1teechr@aol.com

ksadd said...

Wow! Hope you feel back to normal soon! I'm currently on spring break but I've spent most of it fighting a cold and trying to get back to normal myself.

Kayla
khildman@gmail.com

Krystal said...

Spring break is the first week of April. Can't get here fast enough! missplott@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Next week...:-)

Carrie said...

April 8th! I keep telling myself that I WILL make it. :)

Carrie said...

And. . . I forgot my e-mail.

irisheyes528@gmail.com

The Brown-Bag Teacher said...

I love this idea but I cannot see myself keeping it up. Good for you!

Catherine
brownbagteacher@gmail.com
The Brown-Bag Teacher

Traci Clausen said...

OOOOOOHHHHHH I love you for so many reasons. This is just another. Between the two of us, I am quite surprised there are any more plastic sleeves left in the world! I love the table of contents on the back! I will be making some changes. :D

Your spring packs look fabulous!

ksteacher81 said...

I am on Spring Break right now and I have been watching the Tudors on Netflix.
Ruthanne rarace81@gmail.com

ksteacher81 said...

I am on Spring Break right now and I have been watching the Tudors on Netflix.
Ruthanne rarace81@gmail.com

Kathy said...

My spring break isn't until April fifteenth. Hoping I can make it! Glad you are feeling better! Love your spring packet! Thank you! ksmith_727@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

We get Thursday-Monday surrounding the Easter holiday next week. ry.hoos@gmail.com

SherylLyn said...

Our last day is this Friday, with next week off through April 1. The Spring Lit pack would be a hit in my classroom! Feel better soon. slboyd05@gmail.com

Suzy Q said...

Our break starts Friday at 3:11pm. But I am a bit miffed that Good Friday falls during our break...shame to waste a perfectly good day off when we are already off!

Megan said...

My spring break begins April 17.
I'd love to have the math with a deck of cards pack.

mgnreynolds@yahoo.com

Heidi Foster said...

Wow, I love your stuff! My break starts this Saturday!! I'm glad that you are feeling better.
boyntonheidifoster@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Spring break is next week!! I would love to win...lisafiocco@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Our spring break is always the week of Patriot's Day in April. We have a ways to go.

I would love the tasty facts. Fluency is still an issue.

Thanks and feel better.

Jeanne
J28ber@gmail.com

danae said...

Our spring break is next week as well, since I am in Brevard County too.
The tasty facts addition would make my life so much easier.
delting01@yahoo.com

Bess said...

Spring Break was last week and the weather was cold, wet, and icky!

Fran said...

My spring break was last week. It was great! My fav pack is Math with a deck of cards.

Primaryessentials@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

My spring break officially begins next Friday! Math with a Deck of Cards has to be my favorite.
Michelle
Mjaquillard@oregoncs.org

Tricia said...

1 week until spring break! The math with a deck of cards would be a great addition to my centers!
tricia.gaffney@gmail.com

Unknown said...

We have spring break next week and I would love to have the spring math centers to work on getting ready!

Christine said...

I am on spring break now, yay! Davisc6@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hearts3134@gmail.com

:)

Unknown said...

I'm on spring break now. :) I think we all definitely needed it! Off to plan for the last quarter. Yikes!

jmcpang78@hotmail.com

The Polished Teacher said...

You are so organized!

I want spring break again! Luckily being at a catholic school we have a 5 day weekend for Easter!

I LOVE Revenge! It is so addicting! We watched the entire first season in 4 nights!

thepolishedteacher@gmail.com
ThePolishedTeacher

Mrs. Nicodemus said...

My kids would love to play the 'Math with a Deck of Cards' games, and I would love for them to learn while playing! Spring break starts next Friday the 29th for us. I have an interview next week and am currently taking 2 online classes - I'm definitely ready for spring break! nicodemus.angela@gmail.com

Jenna Frederick said...

I did an April Fool's Day prank on a class when I was doing a long term subbing position. I gave them all word searches that didn't actually have any of the words in it! They all LOVED word searches and tried SO hard for about 10-15 minutes before some kids started saying how hard it was and they couldn't find any of the words! It was fun! We haven't had school on April Fool's Day since then!

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE your Tasty Facts! I have struggled on how to do time test with my students and would love to use it with my class!

Jenna
frederickjennam@gmail.com

Meaghan said...

Our first day of spring break isn't until April 13th so I would loooooove your spring centers to keep my students engaged during this crazy time!

Meaghan
meaghan.mclaughlin.mm@gmail.com

April said...

No spring break here. Looking forward to implementing your Tasty Facts packet in my classroom. Thanks for your tips on how to organize.
April
aedonovan@pemb.org

Unknown said...

1 more day! Yah!
g8tr410@yahoo.com

Deb said...

I love your organizing ideas! I'm going to use those soon! I love your Spring literacy pack. That looks really interesting. Hope you're feeling better soon. Our spring break is next week.

Thanks,
Deb
maxeysjl@defnet.com

Unknown said...

Great tips on how to organize your Tasty Facts. I have them and am going to put this on my list to do this summer.:)

Unknown said...

My spring break starts next THURSDAY, the 28th (a half day) and runs the whole next week (returning April 8th). Woohoo! You and I keep the page protector and binder companies in business :)

Anonymous said...

Starts at 3:30 on Friday and I can't wait!!!

Shelby
Sahick03@smumn.edu

Anonymous said...

Starts at 3:30 on Friday and I can't wait!!!

Shelby
Sahick03@smumn.edu

Unknown said...

We don't get a traditional spring break. We got four day weekends in February, for Easter and in late April. kjanebarnum@yahoo.com

Cindy L said...

Our spring break starts next Thursday and I can't wait. I just bought your deck of cards pack and I know what I will be doing with it this weekend. Thanks for the ideas.

I would love your spring literacy packet. Living in northeast Ohio we need some spring and we just got blasted with more snow.

Cindy
cl14mentor@oh.rr.com

Unknown said...

I am on spring break right now, also!! I, too, would have loved to have spring break the week of the time change, because I was SO TIRED that entire week.
My email is tscott74881@yahoo.com

zputty said...

As I've become addicted to blogs and TpT I've struggled with how to keep things organized and usable. I have used hanging files, large envelopes, etc. for the hands on activities. I love the binder use! Now I just have to invest in page protectors and do the initial time investment!

Valerie

Julie DiBenedetto said...

My goodness! I just love your Math binders and AMAZING organizational skills you have going on!!
The Math Deck of Cards would be an incredibly AWESOME addition to my growing materials of Math Daily 5. I am still working out the kinks and am looking for materials that I can use without having to change out frequently. My first graders love card games but I only have them for reading-related concepts. Have a fantastic break!
Julie
betto411@gmail.com

Carey said...

We are off all next week! Yeah! I can't wait to take my 12 year old to DC...he is so excited! I Would love to have your Spring Math stations. Thanks so much for this opportunity. Carey 25.cfrench@gmail.com

Unknown said...

We were off the last week in March. I would love The Math with a Deck of Cards. Thanks so much! kpannell@bak.rr.com

TeacherGal said...

Love your blog! Do you have any suggestions on how to manage math fact quizzes? I want to do it in the quickest most efficient way possible.But since all students are at different levels, how do you store, pass out, etc?

Back to Top