Insects - Ants and Butterfly Activities {Freebies}!

One of my favorite books to read is Hey Little Ant.  This is such a cute story, but it also has a great moral to the story.  So I was doubly excited to see it in Deanna's and DeeDee's Guiding Readers pack for April.  (I love these packs - I have all of them so far and have used them every month!)

   


Here are some of the activities we did from the Guiding Readers pack.


I always love visualizing activities... I teach them early on how to draw a person who is thinking - something I've done for probably 10 years now.  They are always so cute!



Then we had some fun with the writing response!  I couldn't decided whether or not I wanted them to write a letter persuading the kid not to squish the ant, but time was not on our side, so I went with the quicker version, having them write what they think the kid should do.  I found this cute craft on {THIS} post.









I typed up some ant writing pages you can get by clicking below - you can use them for Hey Little Ant or any any writing activity! 


I'm really bad at showing our center activities because I'm always "stuck" in small groups... but we've been working out of my April 1st Grade center pack and my Addition Regrouping pack.









In my small groups, we were reading some butterfly books (from Reading A-Z), so I decided to scrap my plans on Wednesday and start diving in to our butterfly unit in our whole group and writing time!

Here are some of my favorite nonfiction books to use for our butterfly week.
And here are some of my favorite fiction books...


Since I didn't have any pages copied off yet (because I wasn't supposed to start until next week), but that's ok - we made it work!  We talked about the life cycle of a butterfly and we drew it and wrote about it in our learner's notebook.



They also drew their own parts of a butterfly and labeled it!


Then we read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and compared it to Are You a Butterfly? I love that series of Nonfiction books!


Then we read one of my new favorite books for this week - Charlie the Caterpillar! I got this idea from {THIS} post over at Primary Press....it's SO CUTE! Make sure you head over there to see it - she has some super cute butterfly activities!

I needed some more writing lines for my kids, so I quick made up a writing paper for them to write how Charlie had felt in the beginning, middle, and end. Then they drew a caterpillar, "Sharpied" it, and cute it out and glued it to another paper to "frame it," I always love seeing thier art...they are so unique!


This one is all brown because he said Charlie was all brown, so our Caterpillars should be. To each their own!

You can get this version of Charlie if you need more writing lines {HERE}.


Then for math, we did our symmetry butterflies! This is not actually a standard for 1st, but I don't care. It's one of my favorite things to do - and the kids always love to see the process...how scribbles of paint can turn into such beautiful works of symmetrical art!

This is the one time that I let the kids do the craft part first. I usually have them do the craft after they finish the writing, as a celebration. But I consider this a math lesson, so it comes first. 




Look how beautiful they turn out!







 Here's our finished product! Finally. It's taken a while...

We worked on topic sentences with three details and ending with an opinion.


We also did the life cycle, making sure to use our sequence words!


I just love how they look hanging up!!



You can get the writing activities and art activity by clicking the picture below!



Oh! And remember that spider preposition book we did?? No? You can see it {HERE}.  We also did a penguin preposition book too! {HERE}. Well, we are going to be doing a Bumblebee preposition book too! So cute! Click the picture below to get your copy!


You can check out my post we did on bees a few  years ago. I LOVE teaching about bees! It's {HERE}.





11 comments

Krogers Kindergarten said...

This is perfect!!! We are heading into butterflies and bugs this week. Thanks!

Vickie said...

Love all your activities!!

Unknown said...

Team building activities also busts myths that some individuals might have about teams. Sometimes, people feel that they might not be noticed if they are in a team. These group activities helps such people realize the fact that when a team succeeds, the people are all suitably rewarded and individual results don't really matter as much.

khanabaaz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mtom said...

Phil Torres and that i recently delineate the never-before-seen life history of Adelotypa annulifera, a metalmark butterfly within the family Riodinidae. whereas several riodinid butterfly species ar illustrious to own a dependent relationship between their caterpillars and ants, this seems to be the primary documented case wherever the adult butterflies co-exist with ants. jasa anti rayap

Unknown said...

Great article contains useful information
-------------------------------
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالجبيل
شركة رش مبيدات بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة فئران بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة بعوض بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة صراصير بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة بق الفراش بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة العتة بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة وزغ بالجبيل

Unknown said...

Sourceyou can check here have a peek herego see it herefind more

mcrate said...

replica bags prada replica bags in delhi replica bags sydney

methyn said...

Your Domain Name Dolabuy Hermes Read Full Article replica louis vuitton next page best replica designer bags

ركن الرحاب said...

شركة مكافحة النمل لابيض بالخرج

Werner Erhardt said...

Only a tiny percentage of professional hackers have the specialized hacking abilities and knowledge needed to recover lost BTC, Facebook hacking and Catching a cheating partner via a Whatsapp link. Finding a reliable hacker like HACKERWEREWOLF is preferable.
A first class hacking hacking team that can aid in the recovery of your misplaced cryptocurrency, lost Facebook account and hack your partner Whatsapp. A hacking organization that can aid in the recovery of your misplaced cryptocurrency, lost Facebook account and to help you gain access to your cheating partner Whatsapp. I lost $298k in BTC to bitcoin mining, and HACKERWEREWOLF was able to retrieve it. In my darkest hour, when my Bitcoin was lost and hope seemed but a distant memory, HACKERWEREWOLF and their extraordinary team emerged as the catalysts of change.
Their exceptional knowledge and relentless determination propelled me towards recovery, restoring my faith in the crypto world, Facebook/Whatsapp hacking.
If you find yourself lost in the depths of lost Bitcoin, facebook and Whatsapp hacking, let HACKERWEREWOLF's team guide you towards the light of redemption.
Facebook page:Hackerwerewolf
Email:hackerwerewolf637@gmail.com
Whatsapp:+4917617861530

Back to Top