reading mini lesson with phonics

This week, I've decided to do a little "How I do mini lessons for our silent reading time" session, if you will.

We read for 15 minutes EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.  During this time, I am walking around the room listening to students read and conferencing with them. I usually see about 2-3 kids each day, visiting my high ones less frequent, probably every other week or so.

BUT, during our reading time, the students always have a skill they are looking for while they read.

On Mondays, I always hit the phonics skill for the week pretty hard, so they always search for words that follow our rule. I give them a "tab" (post it notes that I cut into skinny strips) and they put the tab on the word they find as they read, like so....





 Sorry these are wonky - I tried uploading them like 3 times and they always came out like this...weird.

This week our skill was the OW! words, so we did a tree map after they read where they organized their words. The kids write their words on the board, and everyone has to do it. If they can't find a word, they can think of one on their own.


Speaking of, my kids are doing my Ouch! packet this week as one of their centers...and loving it! :)


The pack contains 5 activities you can use to practice words with OU and OW sounds

~~Read the room
~~Word sorts
~~OUCH! Game
~~scoot
~~word search
You can get it for the ripe price of $1...as always

or 


Hope you all survived the first Monday of daylight savings...I think I want to move to AZ - ha!

15 comments

Sandra said...

I'm in AZ! I am so glad we don't have to deal with the time change!
❤ Sandra
Sweet Times in First
sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

Elizabeth said...

Ahhh....you make me want to teach littles again :)

Elizabeth
Fun in Room 4B

Kelley Cirrito said...

Thanks for the tab idea Jen! My kids would love to do this!! You are a rock star!!

Kristin said...

Let's all go to AZ!!!
Cute activities - love the tree map with the sounds. We did something very similar!!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Holly said...

Lookin' good, darlin'!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Erika said...

I love this idea Jen!

2B Honey Bunch
The Best Endings

Jill said...

I also love this idea! I feel like I need to be holding my class more accountable during independent reading time because some of them are being silly... this can definitely work!!!

Marvelous Multiagers!

Erin Sample said...

I'm in Arizona too! So glad we don't have daylight savings :)
Thanks for the great ow and ou ideas!
Come check out my new blog at
FanaticaboutFirst
Erin

Julie said...

I love the tab idea! You have my wheels turning with ideas!

-Julie
www.lightafire3.blogspot.com

Traci Clausen said...

Just bought your ouch packet... we're doing these sounds in a few weeks. :D
I swear, kids will do ANYTHING you ask if you give them some sort of post it. It's awesome!
❤Traci❤
Dragonflies in First

Traci Clausen said...

OH, and I'm with you on the move to AZ, btw.

Runde's Room said...

SO CUTE! And may I just say you make me happy every time I click onto your blog ... I'm pretty sure I told you already, but I'm so LOVING this cheerful design!

Jen
Runde's Room

Unknown said...

I'm with Jen Runde! I love your design/ Yellow makes me happy. There are so many cute activities for little ones :) I'm jealous!

❤ Mor Zrihen from...
A Teacher's Treasure
Teaching Treasures Shop

Michelle Tsivgadellis said...

Ahhh! I love this unit...so wish I was teaching little ones this year!! ALl these cute lessons and resources are giving me the itch to go back...but I first read your latest blog, so I def, do not miss the rush...hehehe

Oh, and by the way...the reason we crazy people in AZ (not the ones that grew up here, but the ones who decided on our own to move to AZ) don't have daylight savings is because it gets like 150 degrees out here in the summer....if you are going to move here (which I would LOVE) make sure to move AFTER August...hehehe

Michelle

The 3AM Teacher

Kerri Buckner said...

I love the post it idea and having them look for a certain phonics skill. My wheels are turning. I'm revamping some things in my room in the next few weeks. Thanks for the inspiration.
Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

Back to Top