Japan, Olympics, ants, and capsules

Hi y'all!

This week, I really didn't do much teaching..lol.

That's a lie.

I did teach.

But we painted A LOT too.

We were getting ready for Multicultural Night.

We were Japan, I kind of claimed it since our pen pals are from Japan - which is SUPER cool to the students!!

So....our students made Kimonos and Fish...with watercolor paints - and LOTS of it.
(sorry - I tried fixing this 3 times, but it wants to stay vertical)


I didn't know this until I asked Suzy Q, but the fish symbolize the boys growing into strong men,  because these fish go against the stream...

I think. ha! It's been a long day.

Also, this week, I finished reading them this book....


So we did some phonics skills with the -ant word "family."
We started by brainstorming some "ant" words...

They did great! I only gave them like 2 or 3 words, they did all the rest.

They each got their own word to write a sentence about and illustrate.
Then they made an ant craft and colored their picnic blanket - and voila!




Aren't they SUPER cute??

I was going to make a pack for the book, I had some GREAT ideas to do with it, but time was running out and you know - I just can't do everything I want to do! I wish I could, but I must let go sometimes - in fact I think that was my word in January...hmm...I'll have to check.

We also read one of our SN...


I just LOVE these things!!

We did a double-bubble comparing summer and winter Olympics, the we made torches.

I love them :)


And so did they - they decided to have a fish fry...lol.  They're so silly. 


That goes with our camping theme at least.

Oh wait.

That's right.

I never got to my camping theme this week!!!

Yes, I'm dead serious :(

But they did get their time capsule from the beginning of the year - and compared themselves to their string from the b.o.y....I always love seeing how they grow.


They love reading how they answered their questions...not so much what their answer was,  but they commented on their letter reversals and invented spellings...hehe - it's so cute.

Ok - that's it for now.

Time to go give B her bath.

16 comments

Jessica Ann Stanford said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the torches!


Blessings,

Jessica Stanford
Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog
My TpT Store

Swersty said...

Those kimonos and fish are beautiful! Great job!
Swersty’s Swap Shop

Suzy Q said...

Your Japanese crafts turned out so cute. You are a brave woman to bust out the watercolors...no way I will. (I always figure that's what they pay the art teacher to do!)

Jen R said...

haha! The first time I had the use their water colors, half of them wondered why it wasn't working - isn't that sad?? That's how much art our art teacher doesn't do with them :(

Journey of a Substitute Teacher (Ms. T) said...

Love the crafts!

A first grade teacher I sub for will usually have me whip out the watercolors for a freestyle painting time for about 15-20 minutes. The kids love it!

Journey of a Substitute Teacher

Lisa at Fourth and Ten said...

I always put a piece of yarn with how tall they were on the first day and compare it with the last day, it's always so much fun to examine the difference. :)
Lisa
Stories From Second

Michelle Tsivgadellis said...

Those torches are adorable!! You could incorporate so many things with those! I have completely missed reading your blog posts!! I have missed a lot in a week!!! Has it been longer??? Maybe so...


Michelle
3amteacher@gmail.com
The 3AM Teacher
Visit The 3AM Teacher FB Page

Eileen Griffin said...

The fish and kimonos are terrific. I do a unit on Japan so I will have to remember those. I love Horrible Harry! I read from those books all year. So funny!

Amber @ Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher said...

What fun activities!


Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

Hopkins' Hoppin' Happenings said...

Lots of fun cute ideas and I LOVE the horrible Harry books!

Pam said...

LOVE the kimonos and fish - could you tell us exactly how you had them do it? They are so vivid for water colors - and how did you have them do the scales?
Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Gonna have to make those torches. We also get the Scholastic magazines, and we love'em.

Holly said...

Every year I say I'm going to do the time capsule...every year. Haven't done it yet. Will you remind me next year?!?!?

Hugs!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Unknown said...

What fun end of the year activities. I just award you with the One Lovely Blog award. If you haven't received it yet you can pick it at my blog.

http://secondgradelockerroom.blogspot.com/2012/05/lovely-award.html

Unknown said...

What else do you put in your time capsule at the beginning of the year? That's a great idea!

Jen R said...

Hi Christy!
I plan on doing a post about that later on...make sure you "follow me" so you don't miss it!

Back to Top