Up in the clouds

.We started our weather and water cycle unit for the week....fyi, the 2nd grade standards for weather and water cycle in FL are LAME-OH!!! And the space and planet standards??? NON-EXSISTENT! I'm annoyed....but anyway, making the best of it.

A LONG time ago, I found a pin on pinterest on cloud dough - no I didn't repin it, so I don't remember where it came from, but I saved the "recipe" in my files (my 5th grade teacher/friend/science guru reminded me of it!)
...we made it today!


The recipe is SIMPLE! 8 cups of flour and 1 cup of baby oil...mix and enjoy! lol

I told my kids - ok wait, you have to know that a) we DO have a skydiving place in the next town over that I actually have gone skydiving and b) I'm over 7 months pregnant... - ok, back to the story -  I told my kids that Mrs. Ross REALLY wanted y'all to find out what cloud felt like, so I went skydiving and grabbed some clouds on the way down...lol. I'm tellin' ya - most of them either believed me or weren't quite sure so they decided to believe me. lol! It was cute!

They did a little sensory exploring - all the senses (except for smell, because, well, clouds smell differently in their bowl than when they are in the sky - it's because it smells like baby powder! lol)



 Then, they did a little bubble map using adjectives to describe! Click {HERE} to get it.


We also did Fact and Opinion using weather sentences. Each student got their own sentence strip to sort. Let me tell ya, sometimes they get it, and sometimes they don't.

But we did a little circle map of all the words we could find (or did find in that activity) that would make the statement an opinion, and I think they got it a little better...here's hoping??
Then we started in our water cycle...ok. So I've been seeing a lot of anchor charts out there in blog land, and coming from 3rd grade, we didn't do that a lot - so, I'm trying to get better at it...here's my attempt at the water cycle. lol

In addition to the Cloud dough, we also did a Cotton ball demo - the cotton ball is nice and fluffy.....

and then as it soaks up more and more water (the condensation part), it gets heavier and heavier until....it just can't take it anymore! (ok - I just started singing a Jimmy Buffet song - anyone? anyone?!?) and it HAS to release it...which is the precipitation part. 

Do you KNOW how many pics it took me to get one with a drop coming out of the "cloud"?! lol!

And....we started our experiment - which jar will allow the water to evaporate the quickest - the one with a lid, or with out a lid? (yes, that is actually a standard - and let me tell you, even my low ones who are ESOL could already explain this to me in their prediction. lol. Good...well, hopefully with this lack of sunshine we've been having lately won't deter any evaporation).


We have some centers that revolve around weather too, but I'll get to those another day :)




11 comments

Toddler Toy said...

INCREDIBLE THINKING!! You did really making sense. My little baby girl like different things to do and I think this will be enjoyable for me also.

Cloud Boy said...

good thinking. great ideas. I think you did give better ideas.

COLOC said...

This is very nice artical i really like this and please keep posting such a nice type o info.

Regards:-

Spekkies said...

good thinking. great ideas. I think you did give better ideas.

And thanks or sharing this such a nice type o info.....

Heat Exchanger Gaskets said...

This is nice post i really like it.

This is useful info for me..

accounting services said...

Nice post............

hotel management course singapore said...

A lovely post......

I always ind this type of article because i need to read this type of article.

Wedding Gifts said...

Amazing post i really like this and please post such a nice type o articles.


And thanks for sharing this such a nice type of info......

Order Flowers said...

Excellent post......................

roof tile coating said...

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

food and wine said...

Nice words for me..........

Back to Top